Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I don’t actually have a child yet...

but over the past 26 weeks I have been responsible for caring for the child growing inside me. She has already brought me more happiness than I could ever imagine along with a healthy dose of added stress, many sleepless nights and a credit card bill that grows much faster than she does – that’s parenting right?

As I prepare for the birth of my child, I am exploring the myriad ways that my husband and I can use technology to help us raise a happy and healthy child. I must say I enter this project with a bit of hesitation as over the last 6 months technology has been both a blessing and a curse. From the first moment the pregnancy test read positive, we have been overdosing with information about the dos and don’ts of pregnancy, how the baby is developing day-by-day, what to expect during labor, what to do once you have the baby, and five zillion things that could potentially go wrong at any step along the way. The information is endless. Moms, dads, nurses, doctors, grandparents and even childless friends and relatives are blogging, chatting, tweeting, texting and more about their child rearing experiences and sharing their hard-earned advice. It is overwhelming at best.

I believe that technology is hugely important to parental success (and sanity) but I also know that we need to conduct a bit of due diligence to unearth the best resources available. This blog will capture my exploration of how technology is being used in parenting as well as the opportunities and challenges it presents. I look forward to sharing my findings and thoughts on the topic and, hopefully, hearing insights, suggestions, comments and questions from other parents and caregivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment